Well, I’ve done it. I have finally completed the first draft of my novel.
This is kind of a big deal, because I’ve been working on some version of this story since 2004, and I’ve finally gotten around to actually finishing. Hooray!
My big, final hurdle was the battle scene. All the responses I got to my research post were really helpful, because they got me to tone down my perfectionism a little bit. I was determined to read and memorize De Re Militari before writing any part of that battle and I finally realized that I was over-thinking it wayyyy too much. No one was going to care if I did or did not use the proper terminology for the parts of the army, and even if they did, that was something I could fix in the editing stages. That whole realizing that there ARE editing stages was super helpful too.
So anyway. The first draft is finished, and now the real work begins. Time to press-gang my friends and roommates into being beta readers for me!